Lithium-ion batteries can be found in phones, laptops, electric toothbrushes, and many common items used every day. While they are reliable batteries with many uses, the risks of fire can be catastrophic, especially when used in large-scale applications such as manufacturing facilities, electric vehicles, and other high-power consumption business applications.
Numerous failure modes exist such as excessive current flow into the lithium-ion cell causing overheating and lithium plating, which can lead to battery failure. For this reason, industry regulations have been established.
The Li-ion Tamer GEN 3 system reliably detects the early signs of lithium-ion battery failures (battery electrolyte vapors – off gas detection), allowing preventative actions to be taken to avoid impending battery thermal runaway events much earlier than other protection systems. Early notification and mitigation of fire risks in lithium-ion battery storage environments will protect assets and maintain operational functions (business continuity).
The Li-ion Tamer GEN 3 system also provides multi-point temperature and humidity measurements for improved environmental control and situational awareness for the battery storage area.
The Li-ion Tamer GEN3 system is highly scalable allowing cost-effective deployment in modular, containerized, and large-scale BESS installations. Simplified installation, featuring daisy-chain connections between sensing nodes, reduces cabling material and setup time.
System configuration and commissioning are quickly and easily done through a software interface, which provides diagnostic information for ease of troubleshooting and maintenance. Improved networking enables users to customize their detection solution by grouping Li-ion Tamer sensors into zones, which is especially useful for complex and large installations. The system provides extended connectivity options for integration into the Battery Management System (BMS) via relays and Modbus TCP/IP.
Common applications for Li-ion Tamer Gen 3 system include:
- Stationary Battery Energy Storage
- Containerized / modular systems
- Built environment systems
- Data Centers
- Battery UPS
- Gigafactories / Manufacturing
- Assembly lines
- Battery formation process
- Cell aging and EOL testing
- Module or pack assembly
- Car parks/garages
- Charging bays
- Vehicle test facilities
- Laboratory Safety
- Environmental chambers
- Battery abuse testing
- Shipping and Storage
- Post-manufacturing storage
- Battery-powered equipment
Notable features of the Gen 3 system include:
- Early warning of lithium-ion battery failures and prevention of thermal runaway
- Battery cell failure detection without mechanical or electrical contact with the cells
- Independent and redundant perspective on battery safety
- Compatible with all lithium-ion battery form factors and chemistries
- Temperature and humidity monitoring at each sensing node
- Scalable deployment for cost-effective protection of a wide range of battery storage system installations
- Easy installation and system configuration via interface software that reduces setup costs
- Calibration-free sensors and extended product lifetime that reduce the cost of ownership
- Communication protocols including relays and Modbus outputs
For more information on the Li-ion Tamer GEN3 sensor, please contact one of our battery experts.